Friday, May 17, 2013

Happy birthday Queen City Drinks!

Last night, Queen City Drinks had a birthday party (for their 1 year anniversary) at Fifty West. It was a great night. I finally got to put some faces with names, and drink some excellent beer!

Among the guests were @brewprof, (www.brewprof.com) @beerquestABV, (www.beerquestabv.com) @tom_aguero of Queen City Drinks, (www.queencitydrinks.com)
@loosescrebeers,  and a few others. If you don't already follow these folks on twitter or you haven't visited their sites, you should. These guys have much better things to say than I do.

At the heart of it, last night's event was a bottle share, my first one... I was psyched to try some beers I've never had. In chatting with some folks on twitter etc. I know that there are some pretty decent beer cellars out there. So expected some good stuff, I was not disappointed!

On to the beer!

First pour was The Bruery's Black Tuesday (2012). This was my first beer from The Bruery and holy crap this thing is a beast, 19.2%!! @beerquestABV said it best "how do you even get a beer to do that!?" If I'm being honest, it was a little hard to drink. If you run across a bottle share generously with friends. And be careful. Thanks @tom_aguero for graciously donating this gem!

Up next was Cigar City's Hunaphu's Imperial Stout. Another first for me I'd heard nothing but great things about Cigar City and I was more than excited for a taste of this one. I must say it was delicious. I daresay one of the best stouts I've had. I'll be on the lookout for this one again! Thanks @brewprof for sharing!

Next was a pour of Three Floyds' Dark Lord (2010). I've made no effort to keep secret the fact that I'm a FFF fan. I truly love their beers so, I was ecstatic to see this bottle show up. Kenny from Cincinnati's own Madtree Brewing Company brought the bottle, thanks Kenny! This is a solid russian imperial stout, very drinkable. At 15%, this is another behemoth (get it?). Now if I could only get my hands on some of the barrel aged versions...

Up next was Odell Brewing Co. Saboteur  kindly provided by @beerquestABV. A Brett brown ale, this one was interesting the Brett yeast adds something of a mild sourness and the flavor was very bready. Admittedly  I'm a novice when it comes to brett beers so I didn't really know what to make of it... Interesting.

Finally, I poured Three Floyds' In The Name Of Suffering. A 7% black IPA brewed with Cascade hops. I believe I've mentioned this beer before so I'll move on...

I also had a quick taste of Triple Digit's barrel aged Chicow! Awesome! Get to Listerman's and get a bottle if you can. 

There were plenty of other beers being poured, these are the few that I was able to get my glass under. 

After the crowd thinned out, we were allowed a tour the brewery. Where we got to nerd out and chat beer with a pro. We also had a taste of a new DIPA poured directly from the brite tank! Delicious! Keep an eye out for that one soon at Fifty West, definitely a hop bomb.

So, I want to thank Josh from Queen City Drinks for putting together an awesome night. And the folks at Fifty west for allowing us to use their place  to geek
out on beer. It was a great night guys, thanks a lot! 

Cheers!

Oh, and I made a huge mess dropping all those names... Lemme just get those picked up. BOOM!


No comments:

Post a Comment